Chloe Fitzpatrick, a 24-year-old dance teacher from Lancashire, recently faced a distressing situation that has sparked discussions about airline policies and passenger safety. Chloe, who has a severe strawberry allergy, found herself in a harrowing ordeal during her Jet2 flight to Ibiza.
Boarding the flight with her sister Lucy, Chloe informed the airline staff about her allergy, a precaution she had always taken when flying. She requested the airline to refrain from selling strawberry products on the flight, as exposure to even minute particles could trigger a life-threatening reaction. However, Jet2’s policy requires passengers to disclose severe allergies at the time of booking, not just during boarding.
Despite Chloe’s pleas, the cabin crew continued selling products like strawberry daiquiris, rosé wine, and fruit pastilles. Chloe, feeling trapped in a confined space, was unable to use the restroom due to the potential presence of strawberry products. The fear of anaphylactic shock loomed over her, making the entire flight a traumatic experience. Her sister Lucy, too, was terrified, feeling utterly helpless in the face of her sister’s life-threatening situation.
Jet2 did make an announcement to inform passengers about Chloe’s allergy, but they still sold items containing strawberries, leaving Chloe and her sister on edge throughout the journey. Upon arriving in Ibiza, their holiday was marred by anxiety, worrying about the return flight.
Chloe had informed Jet2 about her allergy three days before the return journey, but the airline refused to halt the sale of strawberry products. Fearing for her life, Chloe chose to book an alternative flight with Ryanair, costing her £500. Ryanair, in contrast to Jet2, accommodated Chloe’s condition by refraining from selling strawberry products on their flight.
Jet2, however, defended their actions, stating that Chloe had not informed them about her allergy during the booking process. While they expressed regret for Chloe’s experience, they maintained that their crew had taken necessary steps given the short notice. According to Jet2, if a severe allergy is disclosed in advance, they can make necessary accommodations. However, in this case, Chloe’s lack of notice meant they couldn’t guarantee a completely allergen-free environment.
Chloe’s story highlights the complexities of accommodating severe allergies on flights. It raises questions about the adequacy of existing policies and the need for a more robust approach to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers like Chloe. As the incident gained attention, it ignited a conversation about the responsibilities of airlines in protecting passengers with allergies, urging a reevaluation of policies to prevent such distressing experiences in the future.